Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sooraj almost killed me...

Don't be surprised. It was definetly not any kind of plot aganist me to get me killed. I'm not someone who is so badly wanted dead by anyone.. ;) Hopefully this statement is true to itself. (Any claims? contact me and we need to speak a bit;)
It happened so that one of my friend Shashank had taken me to his native place. Located near Sullia in Karnataka. A big house and a big yard right in the middle of an arecanut plantation. wonderful place. I spot a diesel bullet in the garrage. On inquiring, found that it was owned by his younger bro. And being the two wheeler freak that i am, you know what to expect. I wanted to give it a try... i was a bit over confident i must say rearding my two wheeler driving skills. To kick start it is something that i didn't want to venture into. So promptly called upon my friend's bro and he did the hard work.... ;) Once i was sitting on it i was reminded that the brake pedals and gear levers were placed in sides that are fully opposite to ones that you normally have in motor bikes world around. I shoke my head and engaged the gear and let the clutch loose... everything was fine. Untill i shifted to second gear and gave the throttle a little twist... At this point in time i had forgotten the opposite sided placement of brake and gear leavers... as i neared the end of yard i started pressing the gear lever instead of the brake lever and expected the bullet to understand. And the moment i realised i was inches away from falling into a 40 yard deep hole at the end of the yard... would have been lying there seeing stars with the 180 kilo gaint on me. Or probably dead! I thanked my stars for the timely realization! And after this incident have promised myslef to not touch the bullets with levers placed opposite to that of normal bike lever placement. Phew!

PS: The Sooraj Automobiles of Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh, a company of India, offered this Motorcycle to the world in 1992 promising 86 km per Litre of Diesel. Using the trusty Royal Enfield frame it used a Lombardini engine with 325cc. The bike is no longer in production. The fuel tank is from a bike called the Yezdi made by Ideal Jawa of India. Thought would give more insights to this vehicle. ;)

4 comments:

Sathish Shanbhogue K said...

Once upon a time Enfiel Diesel was very popular in south canara and Kasaragod regions almost all bikes are locally converted using Greaves Lambordini 500 series engine which used for irrigation purpose. Kick starting is simple but you have to master the technique before that. Sooraj was manufacured by U P company and it offrred self start model also. The fuel tank used in sooraj was not from Yezdi or Jawa it was same piece from Enfield, but differently painted. When sooraj launched its product a company called Atul (mostly based on Gujarat) also launched their product with 360cc Engine. At last Enfield India launched Enfield Diesel and renamed it Taurus only difference is it was fitted with original dry type Air cleaner insted of Oil bath.

myLogZ said...

Hey Sathish,
Oh! is it? I happened to take less notice of the tank make. Sorry to make a wrong statement on the net regarding that. It's good that you took notice and corrected it. :)
I jus went through your blog. I wonder why you've kept three separate blogs! BTW, that UCE of thunderbird were good insights.

Unknown said...

hey iam sajith from kerala i bought a used sooraj diesel bullet .it has no self starter i would like to install a new one,i heard that the maruti 800 car's starter is fit for that .idont know it is possible or not. if you have any idea please inform me my email crsajithsekhar@gmail.com

naddy said...

Guyz... anyone wanna purchase sooraj with self starter contact me....I have one of 1994 model in very good condition contact me on 9700237527.....