Tuesday, June 24, 2008

To buy a power bike or not?

Lot of friends ask me or rather discuss with me regarding, how sane is it to go buy a motor bike that has higher cc(cubic capacity) and hp(horsepower). I would say it's up to an individual to select or decide his choice of power. Let me put it this way, power has it's set of advantages and disadvantages too. Let me get to this details later on. First let me tell you why i thought i would write this post. I was chating with one of my friends whom i've not met in a couple of years now. I said to him that i have shifted to Bangalore and he was happy for me. After that he asked me if we could meet up somewhere in Bangalore during this coming weekend. I said, I'm off to Udupi to get my bike from there. And discussion led to him asking which bike do i own. Now, when i say i have a 180cc bike which happens to be at the power segment(still economical to afford for people like me) of the bikes available in today's market in India, he asks me whether i am able to use the power of my bike to the fullest possible extent? I'm tired of this question yaar. Common, i didn't buy the bike for it's top speed alone. I bought it for the feel i get when i ride the bike. I bought it for riding comfortably(read this word again it's comfortably) at 80Km/hr on the highway. That's it. And occasionally yes, i do a bit of 100km/hr and odd. But not everyday. So, i thought i would log in some details regarding the choices i made when i bought in my bike here in my blog.

It's very worldly to have disadvantages attached to good that we could get. After all happiness is not everything. he he.. ;) If you happen to ask me my choice, i would any day go with power bike. I just love them. Matter of fact every guy if asked in discretion, would agree to the fact that he would love to own a superbike. I'm damn sure not many would resist the opportunity to own one. Would they resist or would you? Fuel is the obvious and almost always the only reason a person might resist from buying a power bike. A fuel guzzling monster would set anyone into the back foot. So if you want that extra mileage from the bike then ride a small bike with less power and it'll just serve the purpose of going from location A to location B. And believe me no thrill is there in doing that. You won't even enjoy the ride. All you could do is curse the bike for not traveling faster while still trying hard to throttle the vehicle and it scream and shout until it hurts the bike. Believe me, bike gets hurt every time you push it to the limits. It's just like us running a kilometer at full speed. Gasping for breath. Literally choking. Yeah, you get the picture? Something like that. To avoid this maybe what you can do is run at a fair pace which is comfortable to you and your lungs and cover the distance. Now, another variable that comes into picture here is individual capacity of speed at which one can run comfortably fast? This depends on person to person. A unfit guy will be slow and an athlete would be fast. Now, equate these athlete to a power bike and unfit guy to mileage bike. To note here, i'm not saying the mileage bike is unfit. Don't mistake. I'm just comparing the capability of power. The power bike thus can do the speed easily and in a better way than mileage bike. Getting the picture clear? Yeah, it's comfortable to ride a bike with 180cc and 16bhp at your disposal at 80km/hr than pushing an 100cc bike with 9bhp to run at 80km/hr. This is what i aimed at. I set the speed i need to travel at, at 80km/hr in highways or whenever the road is free. And thus i ended up buying a power bike.

Let me tell you one more thing. You might argue with me, still the 100cc bike manages 80km/hr no? I would agree. Believe me, the bike's engine would die quick than that of power bike. Because if it is pushed to it's max every now and then it has no other option but to wear out quicker. :)

I also agree i spend more on the running cost and maintenance is a bit high compared to the low powered bikes once it gets old. Now, this is something that i've not thought on. That is whether i would own my this bike once it runs for 5 years. Now it's only 1 year and 5 months of running. Lets see, how it shapes up. If it manages to be working fine, i would surely keep it. Why not? After all it did give to me it's share of joy to me. It's one thing on this earth that is always ready to obey my orders without ever questioning me in return you see... :)

No comments: